The Ultimate Decision: Time vs. Money
Financial decisions come down to two options: Time or Money. In this life, you can choose to use your time or your money to solve problems and complete tasks. Check out three areas of your financial life where you can choose to be budget conscious and save money; or time conscious and enjoy what can be a more quality life with your family and friends.
Meal planning and grocery shopping:
- Discount grocery stores: If you are looking to save money and “cut the fat” from your budget, your grocery purchases are a great place to start! Living in Central PA, we have lots of discount grocery store options. BUT, this can definitely be a time consuming process. You most likely will not find everything you need at the discount grocery store. This means making time to go to multiple grocery stores.
- Meal plan yourself: Taking time to search Pinterest and checking out your favorite cookbooks is a great way to plan out inexpensive meals for your family. We love to do themed weeks where we can use the same ingredients in multiple meals.
- Grocery delivery services: YAY for Peapod! We are finally at a time in life where the average person can afford to have their groceries delivered right to their front door! Here in Central PA, Giant food stores offer Peapod, their grocery delivery service. For a small fee, you can order your groceries online and have them brought right to your front door at a time that is most convenient for you.
- Meal delivery services: Do you work a full-time job that makes it hard to meal plan, but you still want to provide your family with a home cooked, healthy meal? Meal delivery services have you covered. There are many options to fit your lifestyle (organic, healthy, low-calorie, hardy, easy) and needs. Home Chef, Hello Fresh and Blue Apron are just a few companies you can check out. Be sure to read our Meal Delivery Financial Challenge blog from last year. One of our employees tried out a meal delivery service and wrote about the pro’s and con’s.
Home Chores and Yard Tasks:
- Yeah, we know… this is probably the least favorite task on our list. But… you can save big money by cleaning your own home and doing your own yard work.
- Hire a cleaning/ mowing service – On the flip side, you can save a lot of time by hiring someone to clean your home and mow your yard. This is the time vs. money argument at its purest. This also comes down to what tasks you enjoy doing. If you like cleaning and mowing, then save the money and complete this task on your own.
- Shopping at multiple stores with coupons – You can score some great deals if you have the time to shop on a regular basis. Focus on the clearance racks or find out when big sales are coming up. We love to window shop, pick out our favorite items and then wait for that big sale!
- Subscription based services: If you just don’t have the time to shop on a regular basis, check out the many subscription based services you can take advantage of. Stitch Fix is a great option where they customize each box to fit your specific style! You tell them what you like and don’t like and they will send you pieces to fit you and your wardrobe. You can steer clear of all stores and have beautiful, trendy pieces show up at your doorstep.
- Clothing rental companies: If you like to change up your wardrobe on a regular basis, but don’t have time to constantly be shopping, you can check out rental clothing options. New York and Company offers a rental service where you pay a monthly fee and they will ship you up to 3 items at a time. Once you are done wearing them, ship them back and order 3 more! There is no limit to the number of times you can order each month. And they even clean the clothes for you!
At the end of the day… you either spend time or money to accomplish your tasks. Determine what decisions (time or money) make the most sense for you and your family to ensure both a healthy savings account and quality time with family and friends!